BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 22, 2010

Get Well, Pam!

Pam Spaulding, the gutsy webmistress over at Pam's House Blend, a pro-GLBT equality blog, has had surgery for her fibroids. Although I am a straight, natal female, Pam's is a favorite stop. I am a full believer in equality and an end of prejudice towards gay/bisexual and transgendered people. I don't even understand why a there is a question whether or not homosexuals have a right to marry the person they love. I would not care if the person in the stall next to me in the ladies' room was born male but had surgery to transition to female because they had always felt as if they were in the wrong body. I have real issues that concern me. Anyone who is getting bent out of shape about Adam and Steve or Eve and Lilith marrying, or whether Susan, who is in the womens' changing room with them was born Solomon (or Solomon was born Susan) really needs to take a look at their motives. Why would such a thing even begin to concern you?
Pam and I do have something in common. We're both female, obviously. We both suffer from reproductive system issues. I'm not sure if I have fibriods because I haven't been to a gynecologist in more than 20 years. I do know that I have endometriosis. I have always had very heavy periods, which is attributable in part to hypothyroidism. Currently I have had my period for going on three weeks. I attribute this to being peri-menopausal, but if it goes on for much longer I suppose I'll be forced to go to the doctor--something that I don't have the time or money for.
Pam and I also both have fibromyalgia. Mine is fairly mild, but if I get overly tired it feels like I've been run over by a truck. The tiredness leads to more tiredness and to depression. A misunderstood disease, there are still those who believe that its "not a real problem." Believe it or not, some still think that bipolar disorder isn't a real disease either. I would invite them to walk a mile in our shoes and then judge.
One day, thanks to people like Pam, more and more people will become educated about the fact that PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE! It doesn't matter what their sexual orientation or whether they remain the gender that they were born. And mental illness, while a real concern, does not make a person any less deserving of love and respect. Let's treat each other with compassion. It is the one gift that we all can--and should--give to each other.

0 comments: