BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Middle Finger At the Ready


Dahlings, Tempest is not normally the sort to utilize obscene gestures or foul language. But there are instances that lead even a proper lady such as myself to make an exception. In this particular instance, the "social network" Facebook informed me that I was adding friends too quickly and that if I continued to commit this social atrocity, they would delete my profile.

Dear facebook, kiss my ample patootie. As I said to one of the lovely folks at the Put an End to Animal Crush Videos group when they pointed out that there are plenty of crush-related pages on your platform:

This surprises me not at all. Facebook allows the worst of trash, such as a picture of an actual suicide, but they banned one of my friends for having a slightly risque photo of herself holding cupcakes with cherries on top in front of her (clothed) breasts. They gave me a warning that they would ban me for adding friends too quickly! But if I had some horrific photo on my page? No problem, as long as no-one is naked, I guess!
 
The widely distributed suicide photo shows the desperate final act of the Swedish heavy metal vocalist Per Yngve Ohlin. Not only is there no respect for this person himself when people display this dreadful photograph  but there is complete disregard for the feelings of his surviving family members. I read somewhere that one of his brothers asked some dirtbag webmaster to please remove the offending photo and the webmaster refused to do so. Which, in my view, makes them the lowest quality of scum. 

Among the other types of music I enjoy I do like the extreme metal genres (although I can't say I would at this moment because I have an extremely bad headache that is not being relieved by anything)  but I do not join most of the Facebook fan groups because the idiot fans seem to believe that this photograph is perhaps no different from a Cannibal Corpse album cover. 

Yet I have ventured from my original point, which is that Facebook is dreadfully hypocritical and has skewed priorities. Photographs depicting the murder of helpless animals and the suicide of a troubled person? La de da! People having a lark holding cherry-topped cupcakes in front of their breasts? Horrifying! And people making connections with others? We'll not be having that! 

There are some things that I enjoy about Facebook. Hypocritical policies such as these do not make the list.
The point I strayed

0 comments: