BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 27, 2010

Separation of Church and State: Where Do You Draw the Line?

Facebook friend Shibley Rahman asked his friends what we think of this article regarding supposed Christian persecution in modern society. These are my thoughts:
I believe that people should have a right to practice their religion, but I also believe in separation of church and state. It's a fine line sometimes. If they allow an Arab (presumably Muslim) nurse to wear scarves but don't allow a Christian to wear a cross, is this discrimination? I suppose it depends on the area of the hospital, but in most hospitals I would assume that only minimal jewelry is allowed, meaning post earrings. Also, with the jewelry thing I wouldn't see it as being discrimination for a Christian not to be allowed to wear a crucifix if a Muslim is not allowed to wear a moon and star, a Jew is not allowed to wear a star of David and a Pagan is not allowed to wear a Pentagram. The scarves, for instance, are a cultural thing, not necessarily a religious one. As I said, it is a fine line and these are very early morning musings from a very tired night shift worker!

0 comments: