BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Why Twilight is Anti-Feminist


First, read the post by Brittney-Jade Colangelo of Day of the Woman. This is my response to yet another very well-written critique by this young woman.

Right you be! I do agree with one commenter who said that Twilight is fantasy romance, and I would emphasize that it is fantasy romance rather than horror. I like my vampires scary rather than creepy, personally, and I like adult relationships. Would I have been ga-ga over this book when I was fourteen? I don't know. I probably would have liked it better than I do as an adult. When I tried to read it I wasn't able to get through it because of the purple prose that you mentioned. And yes, Bella is very obviously Stephanie's Mary Sue. I don't really have a problem with that as such, but since the whole thing seems like it was written by a fifteen year old rather than someone in their thirties, it's kind of appalling. It seems to me that Steph is still lamenting the guy who didn't take her to prom.
I'm having a bit of fun writing what I would describe as a feminist swords and sorcery trope. Yes, sometimes the heroine gets in trouble and the hero rescues her. But on the flip side, sometimes the hero gets in trouble and the heroine rescues him. Plus, I do try to give my characters personalities, and I am not afraid to use the word "feminist." I tire of the apologists who say "I'm not a feminist but I believe in equal rights for women." If you believe in equal rights for women, you're a feminist. It does not mean man-hater.
You have a very strong voice. Keep writing!

0 comments: